PART-TIME DIRECTOR OF MUSIC
WARREN WILSON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Warren Wilson Presbyterian Church is a medium-sized congregation with a big heart and a progressive orientation that meets for worship in the Chapel on the campus of Warren Wilson College, in Swannanoa, North Carolina. We are seeking an experienced, collaboratively minded part-time Director of Music to lead music during worship and to conduct, develop and administer the church’s adult and children’s music programs.
- Provides music at all Sunday morning worship services, mid-week worship occasions, and all special celebrations of worship where the organ and/or piano are the primary instruments used.
- Participates in weekly worship planning; in conjunction with the church staff, selects appropriate hymns which are reflective of the liturgical season
and/or designated scripture texts.
- Recruits, directs and accompanies the adult choir for Sunday worship, and schedules, directs, and accompanies adult choir rehearsals.
- Works with parents, volunteers and church staff to further develop our children’s music program; explores ways to integrate music by our children
into Sunday morning worship.
- Plans for guest vocalists and instrumentalists and practices with them, when needed.
- Explores and carries out community service opportunities for the choir, such as singing at the Veteran’s Administration Hospital.
- Provides organ music for weddings and funerals held at the church, as available.
- Schedules qualified substitutes for all absences.
- Performs administrative duties such as scheduling and written communications.
- Communicates and coordinates with Warren Wilson College appropriate times for organ practice and maintenance.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in music or vocal performance (preferred)
- Proficiency on pipe organ (preferred)
- Must support the Identity, Mission, Vision and Values of Warren Wilson Presbyterian Church, detailed on our website.
- This position is approximately 15 – 20 hours per week, depending on the liturgical season.
- The part-time Director of Music serves under the supervision of the Senior Pastor/Head of Staff.
- Competitive pay commensurate with education and experience.
* * *
Applicants should send a cover letter and resume with three references to the Music Director Search Committee at email@example.com.
A description of our pipe organ and a complete inventory of all our musical instruments is available here.