From September to May the Fellowship Class is our Sunday morning faith development program for adults. Anyone college age and up is welcome to join us for a discussion based on scripture, books, current events or other relevant topics. The class meets in the adult classroom in the Ransom Fellowship Hall behind the sanctuary. We meet from 9:45-10:45 a.m., before worship. (NOTE: Classes will meet by Zoom during the pandemic. Contact the church office to be added to the Zoom invite!) The content of the class varies throughout the year.
Please join us. Guests are always welcome! Adult Class Schedule Fall 2020-Spring 2021
Some of the books & topics we have discussed recently include:
- Learning to Walk in the Dark – by Barbara Brown Taylor
- No god but God – by Reza Aslan
- Zealot – by Reza Aslan
- The Last Week – by Marcus Borg & John Crossan
- Waking Up White: And Finding Myself In the Story of Race – by Debby Irving
- Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption – by Bryan Stevenson
- The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World – by Desmond Tutu and the Dalai Lama
- Encountering the Divine: How to experience love in the midst of all this hate (Spiritual practices)
- Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis – by J. D. Vance
- Always With Us? What Jesus Really Said About the Poor – by Liz Theoharis
- Short Stories By Jesus: The Enigmatic Parables of a Controversial Rabbi – by Amy-Jill Levine
- Sabbath as Resistance: Saying NO to the Culture of Now – by Walter Brueggeman
- Inspired: Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible Again – by Rachel Held Evans
- Various video presentations from Living the Questions,”The Work of the People”, and Amy-Jill Levine.
- Topics such as Spiritual Practices, Mindfulness, World Religions, and presentations from mission partners such as Creation Care Alliance of Western NC.