You will likely not be surprised to learn that the word “holiday” comes from the Middle English words for “holy” and “day.” So, on one hand, it is entirely appropriate to say that our holiday season has officially begun here at Warren Wilson Presbyterian, for we have some truly holy days coming up over the course of the next several weeks. But we have some events planned that look to be just plain fun. I want to give you all an early taste of what lies ahead for us on the church calendar, so that you can mark these dates down on your calendars.
- Sunday, November 5th marks our annual observance of All Saints Sunday, the day when we remember those loved ones and forebears in the faith whom we’ve lost during the last year, and celebrate their ongoing legacies in our lives.
- Sunday, November 12th marks the close of our stewardship campaign. With two Sundays still to go, I can honestly say I have personally found our exploration of the question of what the Lord requires of us, individually and collectively to be deeply meaningful. (And if I may, let me also encourage you either to mail in your pledge before the 12th, or bring it on the day, when we’ll receive and bless all our pledges. Both are fine–and welcome!)
- Sunday, November 19th we will join together for our Annual Thanksgiving Service, complete with our traditional harvest display. One additional note to add about this year’s display – due to staff and crew reductions on the college side, I have taken the liberty of promising the college crews that install the display — farm, landscape and garden, to cite the main ones — that our members will partner with them in the work of installing it. So, keep your eyes peeled for sign ups in the narthex.
And now for something new, and something that I think is going to be really special:
- Thursday, November 23 — Thanksgiving Day — our Church/College Relations Ministry Team, in collaboration with the College’s Office of Spiritual Life, will host a Thanksgiving Day meal here in our Fellowship Hall.
Sunday, December 3rd marks the start of Advent for this year. So that also means that on…
- Friday, December 1st — bring your gloves, clippers and pruning shears and join us, starting at 2:30, for the annual Hanging of the Greens, as we beautify the sanctuary for the Christmas season.
- Friday, December 1, our Annual Christmas Party follows in Fellowship Hall at 5:00 pm.
- Wednesday, December 6th — Congregational Life Team will host our annual Christmas Tea at Highland Farms. The festivities will begin at 2:00 p.m. and will take place in the Parlor, across from the Chapel in the Health Care wing. (Call Sarah Anne Eller or Corise Gambrell for more information.)
- Sunday, December 10th — we’ll join together in the Fellowship Hall after worship for Wassail, always a fun and festive event!
- Wednesday, December 13th — Cookies and Carols, beginning at 7:00 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall, and continuing after with caroling around campus. All are welcome to bring your cookies and your voices, for what is always a truly fun and festive evening.
- Sunday night, December 24th — our annual Candlelight Service of Lessons and Carols, at 9:00 p.m. in the sanctuary.
I hope you’ll jot these dates in your calendar, or post this page on your refrigerator for easy reference. Because, as is always the case during the holidays, the more the merrier!